Making Progress....

I understand that life is about small steps in the direction of a goal. I understand that progress takes time and just because you want something done 'now' doesn't mean it will happen. Small steps, patience, thinking it thru, all good qualities to have to reach your destination.

However, sometimes you just need to rip the band aid off, in one meaningful, yet painful swipe to get the picture across that you have had enough of the patient, small steps and the goal needs to be accomplished NOW. :)

We have been renovating our downstairs for years. Before McCaiden was born, we finished the living room and bedroom, making it a livable space and then we stopped... for 5 plus long years.
I hate the ceiling in our room, I hate the color, I hate the curtains, I hated my sewing room in the space that was supposed to be a bathroom, I hate the no trim up in the living room, hated walking thru the space, the clutter, the unorganization.

My husbands "it will get done." : "all in good time." : "everything will work out."... those speeches were not working for me any longer. So one day about 2 weeks ago, after my soap box lecture on how I don't want to live like this, I started taking down the boards on the ceiling in our bedroom. It was very freeing! LOL Dennis hated it, he was mad at me for a while. He is such a procrastinator, although he has gotten better, he is just lacks motivation. Well, by taking it into my own hands, I guess he got his motivation.

In the two weeks since I did that, we have finished our new bedroom - except doors (closet and doorway) and some trim along the bottom - but I am thrilled. We have also painted the old bedroom which will now be the sports den/computer room/tv room - it is awesome. I mixed paint we already had leftover from other projects - so the painting cost us a total of $5.00 total. Bold, awesome, just fabulous. Right now we are working on the ceiling in that room, which will take a bit, but it is coming along... WE are motivated :)

{by the way, he later thanked my for motivational removing of the boards}

Also, although small, I finally have my own sewing space... the walk in closet under the stairs is now an awesome shade of turquoise! And it holds all MY stuff :) it is perfect. I have yet to get in there and sew, but I have arranged everything (some new organizational tools will be bought) hung up important, inspirational stuff... I love it.

I am also noticing how my color choices have evolved! I love bold colors but have always shyed away from them, (what if I don't like it? what if it looks bad? what will so and so say?) well, you could say I have come out of my shell. Our new bedroom, while most of it is wood, honey colored, the rest is a deep charcoal gray. The entertainment room is a dark rust, brick on one wall and the other three are this olive, muddy, green color - sounds nasty but looks beautiful. And well of course, my sewing room - turquoise? yes! it is just perfect!!

Our next painting project is the living room downstairs. I better tackle it while I am still motivated... just can't decide on a color - remove the border, keep it? go bold or keep it simple?

So just remember, although baby steps get you where you want to be, eventually you may need to make the choice to just do it... take it by the horns and create something beautiful that makes you happy!!!

2 comments:

MoBea said...

congrats! post a pic or 2
Anut

Kari said...

Bethie that was so inspiring for me to get the rest of my house painted...... when school is done of course :)

Love you and glad you are so happy with it all.

Kari