What is the point?

What is the point in being nice to someone when they turn and stab you in the back?

What is the point in being nice to someone's face and then turn and tell someone else crap about you?

It is all so high school and in posting this, I feel as though I have myself reverted back to my days in school. It all just sucks and is not the way I wanted to start my week after a great weekend!

Not long ago my beauty of a girl had her first dance recital. Beautiful, isn't she?



We of course invited both sets of grandparents. Dennis' parents were more than happy, thrilled to come over and watch their only granddaughter dance. Yes, they didn't mind driving 3 hours one way to sit in a high school gym for 2 hours. They rode with my parents. Who were constantly asking questions... how long is her dance? how long will we be there? does she have to stay for the whole thing? will we have to sit on bleachers?

After the grand event, it was McCaiden's day and she wanted to go to Mugsy's for corn dogs and pickles. It is a local 60's style drive up diner with the best burgers and homemade root beer, and of course the best shredded pickels (she ate 3 servings, and brought some home :) ). And, hell, we thought that the parents might like it. It was from their "era", if you will.

Now, granted, the recital was in Morely and the diner was in Newaygo... about 20 minutes or so apart from each other... but, so what? who cares?

Everyone went and fun was all had by all... or so I thought.

Apparently my parental units were not thrilled to have to drive "20 minutes in the opposite direction of home for some burgers and fries".... They told my brother that it was a "hole in the wall" (which it is) and they messed up dad's order (which they did - oh heavens, he got fries instead of onion rings and then they gave him a free order).... my brother said they were rolling their eyes about it and were completely disgusted that they had to drive "so far" for a burger...

Don't they get it wasn't about the burgers? It was about McCaiden.

Why do I even try to pretend to like these people? It hurts worse that they are making snide and mean comment behind my back.

My husband keeps saying... you can't change them, don't let them get to you. How can I not? They are my parents! I understand where he is coming from... but he has an awesome relationship with his parents and they don't talk about us unkindly behind our backs.

I didn't post this to get sympathy or anything. I posted this get it off my chest and let it out... I just want to cry. I want to scream. I want to tell them that they suck as parents, as people, as humans. I want to know what the hell I did to get dealt this hand. Why couldn't I get great parents?

2 comments:

Karley Ziegler Mott said...

Beth,

((HUGS))

I am so sorry. You don't deserve that. The day WAS for your sweet girl and if these dweebs can't GET THAT, then they are MISSING OUT. I am sorry, my friend.

MoBea said...

oh honey - I'm PO'd for you!

remind yourself often that they can only upset you if you let them-they have only the power over you that you allow them to have. DH is right - you can't change them you can only change your reactions, so don't give 'em one! You Go Girl!

Scott's recital was Saturday as well- he was great! and Brandon and Erin let us have Jackson all day, so of course, he took a nose dive into the Mulch and got his first scraped up forehead! Had to happen on our watch! Looks really cute tho and his parents weren't too upset with us! LOL! We have the boys with us for a few days. The millions of tadpoles in the pond have turned into tiny little frogs and we're having a lot of fun with them. See you soon,
Love Anut